On Friday, January 26th, Hunterdon County Clerk Mary H. Melfi was sworn in as the 77th President for the New Jersey Association of Counties.
Honorable Melfi began her third five-year term as Hunterdon County Clerk on January 1, 2017. She has been a resident of the county for over 40 years growing up in Lebanon Borough and now residing in the Borough of Flemington since 1977. Honorable Melfi served on the Borough of Flemington’s Council from 1994 through 2006 and remains active serving as the Emergency Management Coordinator and a member of the Planning Board. She also was one of the first in the County to serve with the Community Dispute Resolution Program as a certified mediator, and is a Past President of the Hunterdon County Municipal Officers Association. Additionally, she is an active 30+ year member of the American Legion Post 159 Ladies Auxiliary and received the Distinguished Service Award from the Hunterdon County Marine Corp League for her support of veterans.
Honorable Melfi is currently serving as the 2nd Vice President on the Board of the Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce and serves as a Trustee of the 200 Hunterdon Club of Hunterdon County. She has been recognized by the Hunterdon County YMCA, Hunterdon Prevention Resources and SAFE in Hunterdon for her contributions to the community. She was featured on NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt as a Person Making a Difference for her relationship with SAFE in Hunterdon.
She is involved with the Constitutional Officers Association of New Jersey where she served as President from 2009 to 2010 and currently serves as Treasurer, Legislative Liaison and Deputy Section Chief – Clerks Division. Honorable Melfi takes an active interest in new legislation affecting the Clerk’s office and her constituents and will often appear before legislative committees offering testimony.
Senator Kip Bateman of New Jersey Legislative District 16 honored NJAC by swearing in its Board of Directors and Executive Committee Officers, while retired Hudson County Surrogate Donald W. De Leo performed both the invocation and benediction.
2018 Executive Committee Officers
- President Mary H. Melfi, Hunterdon County Clerk
- 1st Vice President Brendan W. Gill, Essex County Freeholder President
- 2nd Vice President E. Marie Hayes, Cape May County Freeholder
- Secretary-Treasurer John Cimino, Mercer County Freeholder Vice President
- Immediate Past President Heather Simmons, Gloucester County Freeholder
2018 Board of Directors
- Atlantic County Freeholder Chairman Frank D. Formica
- Bergen County Freeholder Chairman Thomas J. Sullivan
- Burlington County Administrator Eve Cullinan
- Camden County Freeholder Director Louis J. Cappelli, Jr.
- Cape May County Freeholder Director Gerald Thornton
- Cumberland County Freeholder Director Joseph Derella
- Hudson County Freeholder Jerry Walker
- Hunterdon County Freeholder John W. King
- Middlesex County Freeholder Charles Kenny
- Monmouth County Freeholder Patrick Impreveduto
- Morris County Freeholder Director Douglas R. Cabana
- Ocean County Freeholder John P. Kelly
- Passaic County Administrator Anthony DeNova III
- Salem County Freeholder Director Melissa DeCastro
- Somerset County Freeholder Brian D. Levine
- Sussex County Freeholder Carl F. Lazzaro
- Union County Freeholder Bette Jane Kowalski
- Warren County Freeholder Richard D. Gardner
- Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes
- Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden
- Somerset County Surrogate Frank Bruno
- Gloucester County Improvement Authority Executive Director George Strachan
- Pringle Quinn Anzano, PC as General Counsel
- Genova Burns LLC as Labor Relations Counsel
- Suplee, Clooney & Company as Accountant/Auditor
Recognition of 2017 Outgoing County Elected Officials :
Reception at the Historic Trenton Masonic Temple sponsored by Election Systems & Software and catered by Hunterdon County Polytech HS Culinary Department